As a non-sterile compounding pharmacy, we are able to produce unique dosage forms of medications based on your preferences and/or restrictions. Examples include dye-free, preservative-free, alcohol-free, and/or sugar-free forms of medications. To learn more about our ability to customize your meds, contact us today!
What is Compounding?
Compounding provides an innovative way for pharmacists to customize medications to fit the needs of their patients. The art of compounding utilizes modern medicine while still holding true to the roots of the profession of pharmacy. Each person is different, that’s why Pharmedico Pharmacy takes a different approach to medicine.
Compounding is the mixing of two or more ingredients by a pharmacist to fit the unique needs of a patient. We work with physicians to customize medication for you in our non-sterile compounding lab. We can produce unique dosage forms based on patient preferences and/or restrictions. Many compounds are specialized medication combinations or compounded in other forms that are not otherwise commercially available. Examples include dye-free, preservative-free, alcohol-free, and/or sugar-free forms of medications.
Millions of patients including our furry pets have unique health needs that off-the-shelf, manufactured medications cannot meet. For these patients, personalized medication solutions – prescribed by licensed practitioners and prepared by trained, licensed pharmacists – are the only way to better health. Our pharmacist is trained in compounding a wide variety of ointments, gels, syrups, suspensions, suppositories, capsules and other formulations that can make medications easier to take, address any special health problems, or just simply get you feeling better, faster. Custom compounded medication can be prepared within 24-48 hours. Common ones can be done on same day!
Here are a few examples of how customized medications may be the answer for you:
- You have nausea or trouble swallowing oral medication.
- Medications free of problem-causing excipients such as dyes, sugar, lactose, or alcohol.
- Medications are not commercially available in the strength or flavor that work best for you.
- Combinations of various compatible medications into a single dosage form for easier administration and improved compliance.
- Unique dosage forms containing the best dose of medication for each individual.
- You are concerned about the side effects of your current medication.
Compounded medications are generally safe and effective for most patients who have talked to their doctor about their health and how a compounded medication can help them
Medications are compounded and dispensed to patients only upon receipt of a valid patient-specific prescription. Compounding requires a relationship between the patient, physician, and pharmacist. Together, they will work together to provide an alternative treatment option when and if the currently available treatment options are not the best fit for you.
The efficacy of your compounded prescription is directly related to its preparation which is why the selection of your compounding pharmacy is critical.
Our Non-Sterile Compounding Specialties Include:
- Pain Management – Topical ointments and rubs can be created to administer pain medication directly to the affected area. These rubs may be prescribed for use in conjunction with internal medicine for fast and effective results.
- Hormone Replacement Therapy – Hormone treatments are used to treat conditions such as adrenal fatigue or thyroid imbalance.
- Pediatric Medicine – Through compounding we can ensure that your child gets the correct dose and make medicines taste better for picky little ones.
- Sports Medicine – We can work with your doctor to relax muscles, alleviate pain, and decrease inflammation through the magic of compounding.
- Dermatology – We can prepare personalized treatments for a variety of conditions such as acne, athlete’s foot, psoriasis and much more.
What is Hormone Replacement Therapy?
Hormones- like all compounded medications- are made from FDA and USP registered active pharmaceutical ingredients. Men and women both have the same hormones in their bodies to different degrees; balancing those is an art. Pharmedico pharmacy is able to compound hormones in various dosage forms such as a cream, capsule, or suppository, based on your physician’s order. Hormones can be prescribed to deliver the specific amounts depending on the patients’ needs or prescribers’ preference. These compounds are customized to meet the unique needs of each patient.
A few symptoms of Hormone Imbalance in women:
- Hot flashes
- Sexual dysfunction
- Loss in energy
- Sleep disturbance
- Weight gain
- Depression/mood swings
A few symptoms of Hormone Imbalance in men:
- Loss of sexual desire
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Loss of motivation
- Muscle loss/fat gain
- Stamina decline
- Brain fog/loss of focus
What is a Topical Pain Cream?
Pharmedico Pharmacy Topical Pain Creams are customized medications created according to your physician’s prescription for your unique situation and needs. The cream is made in our compounding lab under the supervision of state-licensed pharmacists. A compounded pain cream could be beneficial to you, because your doctor can include ingredients customized to your therapeutic needs based on his or her medical judgment.
Benefits of Topical Pain Creams?
- Cream applied directly to site of pain
- Combined ingredients according to your physician’s prescription, to treat pain
- Medication customized to meet your unique needs
How do I fill a prescription for a compounded topical pain cream?
- Ask your physician if a compounded prescription pain cream is right for you and your specific MEDICAL needs.
- In most cases your physician’s office will fax your customized prescription directly to Pharmedico Pharmacy.
- One of our licensed and registered pharmacy technicians will begin processing your prescription and contact you by phone.